Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Celebrating the First Anniversary of this Blog

If you accept the notion that “America is Addicted to Oil”, then you probably accept the high cost of gasoline as a penalty for your addiction. I find that notion unacceptable, and this blog chronicles my efforts to do something about it.

I’m learning about alternatives to fossil-fuels, and this is my way of sharing that information with others. I’ve found that it is possible to cut utility costs and do something positive for the environment on a modest budget. My renewable energy systems are growing, and my utility bills are declining. I hope to inspire others to embrace renewable energy because our combined efforts will have a significant impact upon the environment, and help to preserve natural resources for future generations. It may come as a surprise to some, but you don’t have to give up anything. In the long run your lifestyle will improve, not decline, as a result of alternative energy.

Besides saving the planet, I believe that it is important for all of us to be prepared for emergencies, and I often post ideas for doing so.

If you’re a regular reader, I’m glad to have you on board. I hope you’ll tell other like-minded people to visit as well. There is much more to learn, and much more to do. I hope to purchase a plug-in electric hybrid vehicle (PHEV) when it’s time for my next car, and to recharge it with power from my PV system. I’ll measure my overall success by how much I’m able to reduce my use of fossil fuels, including the use of electricity from coal-fired power plants.

We’re not addicted to oil, it’s just that suitable alternatives are hard to find. I suspect that bright young people will come up with solutions, just as they have with computers not so long ago. You’ll soon be “gas-free” if you choose to be, and you won’t have to settle for a car or truck that doesn’t meet your needs. The cost may be high initially, but will decline as it has with other innovative new products over the years. Additionally, the money you’ll save by not purchasing gasoline will be more than enough compensation for the high sticker price. I predict that once PHEV’s become available, the cost of gasoline will mysteriously drop significantly, perhaps below $2.00 per gallon. I don’t generally consider myself a conspiracy theorist, but in this case I am.

Please check in once in awhile to see what I’m up to, and participate by leaving comments. Let’s learn from each other.

John

No comments: