Monday, November 20, 2006

PV System Upgraded

My PV system was very useful during the most recent grid power failure, but at the same time I wished that it could have done more. As a result of that experience I decided that the next upgrade would be a better inverter. My present inverter, a 600-Watt modified sinewave type, does a great job running lights, fans, and charging the cell-phone batteries, but has its limitations. Here is a list:

It is not powerful enough to operate my microwave oven and other large appliances.

It doesn’t provide enough starting current to run a small refrigerator.

It causes buzzing in the sound when I run a radio on it.

It causes streaks in the picture of a TV powered with it.

A timer motor runs fast, making it useless as a timer.

I’m afraid to connect expensive devices to it, fearing that it may damage them.

To overcome these limitations, I’ve just ordered an Exeltech 1100-Watt sine wave inverter. I chose the Exeltech because it seems to be more rugged and dependable than others I’ve considered. And, because it’s made in the USA, I suspect that it will be quicker and easier to get it repaired if I do experience a problem. With the Exeltech, I’ll be able to run almost any appliance I can think of.

In choosing an inverter I first had to assess my needs, and then find one that meets those needs while staying within my budget. In the event of an extended grid power outage a typical load on the system will be:

Three compact fluorescent lights 45-Watts
Small chest freezer 90-Watts (When the compressor runs)
Small refrigerator 115-Watts (When the compressor runs)
One fan (medium setting) 30-Watts
A radio 5-Watts
-----------
Total 285-Watts

I’ll also be able to use other appliances, such as a microwave oven or a vacuum cleaner, at the same time. Since the microwave is rated at 750-Watts, the total power supplied by the inverter will be 750 plus 285, or 1035-Watts. The Exeltech inverter can handle up to 2200-watts for a few seconds, so a high motor starting current surge from the freezer or refrigerator should not present a problem.

With the exception of a few high-power devices, I’ll be able to run multiple appliances at the same time. For example; if I want to use the microwave, I’ll have to avoid using a vacuum cleaner. Of course I’d have preferred a bigger inverter, but when considering the cost, I decided to put up with a little inconvenience.

Daily needs can be calculated by multiplying Watts times Hours. My short-term goal is a system capable of supplying 1450 Watt-hours. My fully-charged battery bank can provide that amount of power for a day, but my solar panel array is not big enough to keep the batteries charged in the event of a power outage lasting more than a day. I plan to add solar panels next year to overcome that limitation. Eventually, I’ll add even more panels so that my system can be used for heating or cooling.

John

No comments: